Nurses support the academic success of all students by helping to address existing and potential health barriers to learning. All HCESC School Nurses are Registered Nurses that specialize in the practice of nursing within schools and are licensed through the Ohio Department of Education as a “School Nurse.”
School Nurses provide a wide range of comprehensive services to students, families and school communities in compliance with local, state and federal legislation.
- Provide direct care for students including management of illness, injury, emergency, medication, medical treatments, screenings, and case management of students with complex medical health needs
- Collaborate with school personnel, parents, healthcare providers and community agencies regarding student needs in the physical, social, emotional, and psychological areas
- Participate in or lead school wellness initiatives through program development, implementation and evaluation activities
- Assist with individual and group health education by providing health information and resources for students, families, and staff
- Adhere to professional School Nursing Standards of Practice and maintain up-to-date knowledge of best practices in nursing and school health
- Provide training and supervision of unlicensed personnel assisting the care of students
- Are able to generate reimbursement revenue by billing Medicaid for direct services to eligible students through the Ohio Medicaid School Program (per district participation).
- Receive orientation, professional resources and forms, mentoring, supervision and performance reviews from a qualified School Nursing Supervisor
School Nursing Consultation and Staff Development for district-hired school nurses includes:
- Consultation and mentoring including on-site visits to your school
- Access to HCESC School Nurse Collaboration Website
- Access to HCESC Policy and Procedure handbook with additional resources and form templates
- Professional meetings focusing on school health issues and nursing practice
Lauren Brown, RN, NCSN, 513.674.4310