Speech and Language Services
Direct, consultative and evaluative services are available to children with communication disorders as they affect educational performance. Consultation and professional development are also provided to districts as needed.
ODE and Ohio Board licensed Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs):
- Understand state and federal rules, regulations and standards that support research-based practices
- Align speech and language competence to educational performance in the classroom through assessment and intervention
- Collaborate with school personnel, parents, and agencies to develop interventions and to find appropriate resources
- Provide full and/or part-time SLP services to schools
- Are supervised for their Professional Experience Year if they are recent graduates and new employees. This supervision is required by the Ohio Board of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, and national certification (ASHA CCC’s)
- Have access to professional resources, including the SLP Collaboration Website
- Receive Word of Mouth newsletter
- Receive professional development from local, state and national experts in the field of speech-language pathology. This professional development is required to maintain state ODE and state licensure. Hamilton County ESC is an American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA) approved continuing education provider
Professional Development for district-hired SLPs includes:
- Word of Mouth newsletter
- Access to professional resources including the HCESC SLP Collaboration website and tests/materials loaning library
- Professional development from local, state and national experts in
the field of speech-language pathology. This professional development is required to maintain state ODE and state licensure. HCESC is an American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA)-approved continuing education provider.